This week we have seen the lovely kids to finish assessment, watch their feeding (so we can advise the carer on how best to help them eat) and write their movement and positioning programs. A few things for me to tidy up at home. Some of the pictures that would be useful for Phuong are in PDF so can't be cut and pasted into her programs easily, so I'll fix that up for her and send it over. I've sent around an email to speech therapists to help out with the advice for the girls feeding and am hoping for some advice before I leave.
We have been up to Xuans a couple of times to finish the new set of clothes we ordered. Whilst I finally got the horrible shoes that I never really wanted anyway, I'm now waiting on two other pairs from a different shop that I've been back twice to. When I first tried them on, I could not get my foot in properly to either pair, and they were easily two sizes too small. No problem we will fix by tomorrow. I went back today, and neither pair looks or feels any different, I just can't get my foot in them. Still, they promise again to fix by tomorrow. How many people who don't have a long time to stay get stuck with clothes and shoes that don't fit or aren't what they ordered because they have to leave before they can be fixed??
The weather shows no improvement, with cloying humidity and heat most of the time, especially in the middle of the day. Often, I come up from breakfast and change clothes so I can go to work without sweat all over me.
Benita and I are in charge of the 'team building' (oh goodie) at Friday's team meeting. We took ourselves off to the market yesterday and bought a bunch of stuff Phuong can use for the activities in the POD, and my idea was to just set up 4 of the activities and ask the adults to 'play' with them. I'm sure the iPad station will be the most popular in this technology obsessed place!
Had a long and interesting talk with Robyn today, as the longevity (well indeed, getting the POD even going by our proposed start date June 11) and sustainability of this model has had me up brooding many nights. We are lucky to have a facility for the pilot, and some good problem solving from everyone to deal with issues of transport, feeding, payment of the carer etc, but hanging over the pilot is the need to roll it out elsewhere, and in more rural areas. While we were talking today, a possible solution struck me, and after some discussion, it seems it may have possibilities if we could investigate any precedent to it (perhaps in Hue), and find the right government people to advise us. I'm hesitant to say more until further discussion proves it more than just a pipe dream, but I'd certainly be delighted if what I have suggested has any way of working. Frustrating I have a brainwave the second last day..couldn't I have had this thought earlier!!! Benita has also shared with Robyn some great thoughts and suggestions on dental care, which is an ongoing problem with very poor education or understanding in this area and also attracting orthopods (and I threw in podiatrists to help make AFOs for our kids). Must think a bit more on this.
This afternoon we went to Dung's beautiful house so I could quickly check out her baby. She has a few concerns about her, however despite a possible click in her right hip, her development is brilliant. She's such a sweet little girl.
We've had our last meal at Morning Glory (sigh) and have eaten twice this week at Tu Anh by the river which is popular with Vietnamese people. The scallops are magnificent, as is the banana flower salad. watch the chicken dishes, as whilst they are divine, be prepared to get your hands dirty, as there is no dainty carving and boning, every bit goes right on in.
Tonight was just a brilliant night at Tu Anh. Initially we thought it would be just us, Phuong and Quan for an early dinner, but due to the wonders of interoffice skype, when we arrived, everyone was there. Had the whole table in stitches trying to teach them "cheers, big ears' to replace their usual 'mot, hai, ba, yoh'. They really are a special bunch of people, and it must be a wonderful working environment for them as they clearly all get on so well. Dinner was fish, rice porridge (much tastier than it sounds), morning glory and garlic and scallops. My husband will be astonished, but I drank beer, as the only other option was Dalat wine (so no other option at all!)
Well, I'm trying not to think much about tomorrow, as I have the feeling the afternoon will be very sad. We are having lunch with Robyn and Xuan (from the clothes shop), so that will be lovely.
It's sinking in fast, as I've just done my internet check in. What a weird feeling (leaving here), but I have to admit, the thought of seeing my family, my crazy pets and my house is making me really happy, and the thought of my own bed, pillow and lounge is making me almost delirious!
| Little Tep, Dung's baby |
| Dung, her mother, and Tep |
| Cyclo city |
| "Cheers, big ears!" |
| Phuong and Quan |
![]() |
| Quan fighting the other boys for the last bits of fish |
| Beautiful Lai |

No comments:
Post a Comment