Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Ms Vy's cooking class, Morning Glory Hoi An

Well, as is so typical of Vietnam, there's been a slight break in transmission while an internet problem has been fixed (by Benita in the end) at the hotel. Turns out all that was wrong was a plug coming out of its socket.
Sunday was a brilliant day. We started early with sizzling eggs with Robyn. This time around detected definite offal looking additions to the meal, however I reasoned that I enjoyed it last time, and if I didn't look too carefully I'd enjoy it again. It was just a beautiful day, and didn't feel quite as hot in the morning as it has done. Walked down past the markets to our favourite riverside coffee place (lots of teeny tiny plastic chairs) and watched the ferries coming in laden with people, motorbikes and bicycles. By 8.30 we were at Morning Glory which I've written about before. Stunning food!! Love the place. We signed up for the cooking classes after our last meal. Around $25 each for a tour of the markets and 3 hour cooking class.
The market tour was excellent. I love Vietnamese greens, especially morning glory, but don't know what to do with them or how to prepare them. Our lady, Loi, showed us a vege stall, a fruit stall and a fish stall. Got to taste Mangosteen (not sure of spelling) which I really enjoyed, and would buy now. Many Vietnamese love this fruit. The fish stall nearly made me heave! Clomping around in thongs in the mush and murky water and the smell nearly did me in. I am much better informed about fish however! We were given the usual hats to wear around, which turned out a blessing as they are great for waving away bad smells and fanning in the heat.
Back at Morning Glory, and we marveled at the great set up. We were extremely fortunate to have the wonderful Ms Vy as our teacher. Her stories of her life growing up, and how her family were literally saved by food are amazing. I urge anyone who loves food, loves Vietnam, or just wants to experience something different, to try out Ms Vy's classes. They are well worth every cent. We left so full after cooking 5 courses! Truly, she is an inspirational woman. Incidentally, she owns the Cua Dai hotel (and  a few other restaurants such as Cargo) where we are staying.
Benita had really looked forward to these classes, whereas I was much more ambivalent about the prospect. I was astonished by how much I enjoyed the cooking, being so different to the usual food that I'd prepare. All the extremely time consuming cutting and chopping was already done, which I usually find the biggest chore. We made a fantastic cabbage soup-yes, I kid you not, this was a beautiful soup full of flavour, and I am still proud of the shrimp parcels I made that float in the soup. Other courses include the typical Vietnamese pancakes, a gorgeous chicken dish, mango salad, and fresh spring rolls. Ms Vy easily catered for those who were vegetarians, or needed to try other options. Great way to spend a lovely morning in Hoi An.
Walked across from Morning Glory after the cooking class to Reaching Out, which is my favourite shop in Hoi An. Everything is made by disabled artisans, and is so unique. I got a pendant with an amazing country scene (even a water buffalo!), a coffee mug for the kilos of coffee Mrs Hanh has given me, and 8 dishes to present my new cooking abilities in.
Spent an uncharacteristic amount of time shopping, and as Xuan (at 27 Hoang Dieu St) had given me such a wonderful price for my other clothes, ordered another two pairs of pants, shirts, a jacket and a skirt.
Picked up my shoes, and dinner was a packet of chips and half a bottle of wine. Guess I have to balance out all that healthy Vietnamese food! I'm still arguing with the shoe seller who tells me the while line in the maroon leather is normal. Refused to take it, insisted she make another (again). I think it is a war of wills now, with neither side prepared to concede.

I love Vietnamese greens, but sometimes don't want to think about where they have been!

Sizzling Eggs

As quiet as you will ever see a Hoi An street!



Fave restaurant, Morning Glory

Street out front of Morning Glory

Anyone for a tour?

There's a tail, but not sure from which beast!


Banana Flower -the salad from this is gorgeous

Not fond of the fish market.

Mangosteens in front


Pretty streets wherever you look
Morning Glory cooking classes



The fascinating Ms Vy

Really proud of my parcels!!


Cabbage soup- divine!



How to make a spring roll -but make sure you go to the class to learn properly!







I love morning glory so much, I can eat a whole plate to myself (after 5 other courses)

Xuan, who makes beautiful clothes, and has an even more beautiful smile!

No comments:

Post a Comment