On the last day of this visit, I had agreed to help Phuc (a Vietnamese physiotherapist with a volunteer organisation) out at a facility in the area. Although I don't work with him technically anymore (such a long story), he's become a friend, and because I have previously worked with him for years, I still feel like I want to know how he is progressing. John and Lyn Quilty, who have just volunteered at Tam Ky where Phuc has been the project manager for a few months, have told me they admire Phuc, and feel he has really risen to this job, which previously he has found very challenging. This news is so welcome, and I'm really proud of Phuc, who has come out of his shell, and is no longer so shy with Westerners. In terms of his physiotherapy skills, well I'm just as proud as I could possibly be. To hear him talking active movement, function and development versus the typical adherence to passive movement and stretching has me so happy. But this is not what made me want to cry.
Standing in a facility with over 30 disabled kids, three and four to a bed lying on the sweaty plastic mattresses (I suppose I should be grateful they at least have some comfort) with NOTHING to do all day- this is what makes me want to cry. Obviously smart little kids, stuck in the one place because of their disability. There were about 4-5 kids who just lit up to see us come in, and one little boy just watched me the whole time. I was aching to take him off the bed and play with him and find out what he was capable of. I cannot show pictures, as I do not want anyone to get in trouble, and we needed permission to take the photos, which I wanted to use to help Phuc write some programs. It wouldn't be fair to do anything that causes friction there for him.
I'll never forget standing in the middle of that large room and just thinking "Oh my god, where do I start?" and just wanting to cry my eyes out. On a positive note, the room was very clean, and the carers obviously feed the kids well. It's the impoverished atmosphere, one of lack of stimulation and learning that does my head in.
I choose to see the whole morning as a really positive experience however. I got to meet some sensational kids, and to talk to their physio (and Phuc) about how we could arrange it so that more kids could benefit from the facilities there. They do have a great physio room, which I'm sure the kids love, and I have suggested that 4-5 be seen regularly in a group, and wrote some ideas for this. Some of the other very severe kids could be taken outside by volunteers in the wheelchairs (which do exist, but rarely used as far as I can tell) and work on hand skills, communication and activities to help feeding and drinking (playing with straws etc)
Leaving Vietnam is sad, but going home is fantastic. For me, I get really homesick, especially when I'm skyping home, it's just seeing the faces of the people I love. Having Benita this time has been amazing fun and we work so well together. I know we have achieved everything (and more) that we set out to do. But it isn't over, not by a long shot. I've been home for four days now, and most of those nights I have had dreams about Vietnam or the POD. Future ideas are forever bouncing around in my head, and although I have a cold and am miserable, I'm still often sitting at the computer and researching articles to help out future efforts. It is so essential that organisations such as CHIA continue to chip away at the seemingly unsolvable problems posed by providing disability services in a country that is developing. Every disabled child in every country deserves love, comfort, dignity and the opportunity to develop and learn. Sometimes there are barriers to this that just don't ever feature in our own environment. Like how to transport a 12year old girl with wild and unpredictable arm and leg movements who is unable to sit herself up- when all that is available is a bike or motorbike. Like battling the prevailing attitude that disabled kids can't/don't learn, and even if they did, poverty would prevent the parents accessing services. Like the fact that love just isn't the issue, there is so much of that to go around, especially courtesy of an extended family dedicated to the care of the disabled child. But the access to education and knowledge of HOW to care and feed the child or help them to learn and communicate is so sadly lacking. Education of the child is what I bore everyone who will listen about, education is always the key- but it is also the need to educate everyone involved with the care of the child.
This trip is physically over, but my support will continue. The kids of this area, and the people of CHIA are deserving of all the help that can be given. So when are you going to volunteer?
No comments:
Post a Comment