Monday, 23 April 2012

Getting started at CHIA

This morning at Children's hope in Action was very intense. I've never met a more friendly bunch of people in my life and have been dubbed "Mum" as I have three boys who would be very welcome to visit! I am totally gobsmacked by the magnificent work CHIA are doing in health, disability and education, as well as building works and other projects such as helping to keep children in school when their families can't afford it.  I'm ashamed I knew so little, and some of the success stories that were shared with us would make you cry. Seriously, it makes me all the more resolved to work my heart out for these wonderful people.
Breakfast at the hotel was great. Beautiful rice pancakes with mint, herbs, carrot, mushrooms and all the good stuff you could want and so tasty. Unable to get my proper coffee but luckily, as soon as I let CHIA know of my serious coffee love affair, Robyn rang up the coffee shop across the road and one soon arrived. IT WAS SO GOOD!
During the morning an older French gentleman came in and wanted to know about CHIA. I know a little French from years ago, but amazed myself by holding a conversation with him for a few minutes. If I had been in France and thinking about it, I probably would have been too nervous to trust my basic French, but because I had no time to think about it I could just talk. I saw him later on the street, and he took his hat off in welcome, which was so charming.
Apologies to Phuong the physio, as it can't be easy talking for hours to us. They have a vision for the project they want to get up and running, and we needed to find out where we could be of most help for them. Working through an interpreter is always exhausting, however Quan is so much fun, and his English is brilliant. They invited us to lunch which was hugely entertaining, and coffee after. Benita and I have so much confidence now in our new friends at CHIA, and are ready to move on with them to identify the children they hope to become involved in their project. Going out into the community and meeting the kids and their families is what I can't wait to do. Everything about the work here excites me, and there are so many things to think about that  don't think I'll sleep for the whole three weeks (it's either that or the industrial strength coffee).
After debriefing in the pool in the afternoon we wandered down to the Ancient town and had dinner at Morning Glory. Could happily just go there every night and work my way through the menu. Had pork belly with five spice and caramel sauce, and a prawn curry dish. Unbelievably delicious. Need to get some serious exercise in or otherwise I'll need to visit one of the tailor shops to get a whole new wardrobe made. Missing my boys, my husband, my bed, my lounge, my cats and the dog- but so looking forward to whatever is going to happen every day of my visit here.
Sandie

No comments:

Post a Comment