Brilliant day. Started by meeting with Robyn the director of CHIA for sizzling eggs. Meat of unknown provenance, eggs and a weird little ball thingy, all on a sizzling skillet and mopped up with a bread roll so fresh you could cry. Also stopped by the river for a coffee (of course) and bought a dragon fruit in the markets. It is HUGE, at least twice the size of the ones occasionally available in Australia.
Spent today visiting the homes of three of the children we hope will be suitable for CHIA's pilot project. I wish you all could see and smell and experience everything I did today. At one stage I just closed my eyes on the back of the motor bike and just breathed it all in (I was in an area away from the main road!) Just magic.
I feel so fortunate to have the opportunity to meet and talk with the families and I'm overwhelmed by their politeness and gratitude. I saw so much love and care for the children and we had plenty of laughs today.
Poor Benita suffered with a migraine this morning so unfortunately missed this great day. All of the children I saw would be perfect for the project. We are discussing a lot how in Australia all our children with disabilities go to an educational facility of some sort, and that we work constantly on their learning. One of the children I saw today was the most friendly smiling child, whose eyes literally followed us everywhere. She has a type of cerebral palsy called athetosis, so finds movement extremely challenging, but she is clearly a very smart little girl who understands everything said to her.
Another little girl had a smile like the Harbour Bridge and she seemed delighted and amazed by the toys I had with me. The Vietnamese children I've seen rarely have toys in the same way Western children do, so are often quite astonished when the toys come out. We also saw little 10 month old boy with the loveliest extended family. I regret not asking to take a photo of Grandma, because she was the most beautiful woman. This little boy had rarely been put on the floor and had quite a stiff little body. His family had been told he had cerebral palsy. I spent some time talking with them, explaining CP, discussing what they could do during the day to encourage his movement and development. Again, he seems alert and bright (but hates being put down), and would thrive with some help.
Tomorrow is a day in the office , going to meetings etc. Not so good in meetings, would rather be out on the road. I'm sure we'll get a lot accomplished however.
 |
| This smile says it all. How lucky am I to have met her! |
Sizzling eggs in Hoi An
The meat didn't taste like anything I knew, but hey, it was still really tasty! The eggs and bread were divine.
 |
| Robyn (right) and Benita by the river in Hoi An |
 |
| Ferry arriving with motor bike and bicycles in Hoi An |
 |
| Encouraging some tummy time |
 |
| Lovely family |
 |
| He's not convinced he likes this! |
 |
| Phuong the physio and friend |
 |
| This little girl couldn't have been any more smart or beautiful |
No comments:
Post a Comment