Mrs Hahn had helped us order a car to take us to Tam Ky, and we were to meet her along the way and she'd take us to the orphanage and Peace Village. Wonderful to be in air conditioned car, and the look on Benita's face as the trucks, motor bikes, carts and people came at us head on was priceless. You've gotta love the road to Tam Ky!!
We stopped at Mrs Hanh's fathers house and he turned out to be the sweetest man. No wonder Mrs Hanh is the amazing person she is, having such a good father to raise her. When I saw Mrs Hanh waiting for us on the side of the road I nearly burst out of the car to get to her. She was jumping up and down, and she didn't stop hugging me for ages. Of course, she showed Benita all the love she shows every person on the planet!
It was so exciting to be at the baby Orphanage again, but I wouldn't have recognized it in the two years since I was last there. Beautiful new light and airy rooms. The babies room is a much nicer environment for the kids. It's still a little lacking in stimulation and fun and interesting things to engage in though. We all had plenty of opportunity to cuddle and feed the little ones. There was one baby who worried me greatly however, but later on our new friends John and Lyn who have been in Tam Ky for nearly 3 months told me he has been seen by the physio who is working with him, so I'm relieved. Son, with hydrocephalus is still with us, and today he looked settled. I saw a little baby from the back (who was asleep) and I straight away worried she may have hydrocephalus. John and Lyn say she is blind and has been checked, but I'm still concerned her head seems rather too large. I recognize some of the little faces, and many I do not, but it's a lovely visit. The work John and Lyn have done, and the changes they have been able to make in such a short time are amazing. Out the back, beautiful new established trees have been planted, and it will be a fantastic space for the kids to run and play ball games once the grass is laid. Right now, anything put in would perish in the heat before it was finished being laid!
We also visited Peace Village, which I have never seen before. I must admit, I found it a little stark and sad, with so little for the people there to do. We only visited with some boys, from teenagers to a little older. One man was 28 and in a wheelchair and I regret not writing his name down. He has great English, and obviously wanted a conversation. The other boys seemed to have little to do, but were so friendly and welcoming. It struck me how great it would be if they had an occupation of some sort. It would seem their English has blossomed under the tutoring of Lyn and John. I thought perhaps something like an incense stick maker- which all the people there could participate in, and then sell to make a little money.
After our visits, we were dropped at the hotel which Mrs Hanh assured us was very good value. It sure was, for less than $20 a night, but the musty smell, and the mould on the walls and curtains was a little off putting. This blog is becoming an essay, so I will do it in a few parts. We were up at 4.45 to go to the beach here in Hoi An to see the sunrise. Had a bit of a wait for Robyn, who seemed to have forgotten us, so we found our own way down there. So many people on the beach ! It was cool and lovely and so worthwhile, but now I could do with a little Nanna nap!
The following are some of the kids at the baby Orphanage, Tam Ky:
| Peace Village |
![]() |
| The lovely Mrs Hanh |
![]() |
| Mrs Hanh and her Dad |




No comments:
Post a Comment