Saturday, 7 April 2012

How to start volunteering

In a word...research! Around ten years before I first went to Vietnam, I'd read a book by an Australian lady who had had these amazing experiences in Cambodia (terrible memory, can't remember the book, but just remember thinking what an amazing and inspirational woman she was). That was the very start of thinking that going to another place, and working with children was what I wanted to do. I've been a physiotherapist for so many years, but only two of those years were working with adults (and I hated it, even contemplatd changing careers for a while). Over many years of working with kids, I gradually began spending a lot of my working life with severely disabled kids and with many kids who have Cerebral Palsy. I'm totally fortunate to love my career and the kids and families that I see. It also gives me a way to be useful when I volunteer.
Back to the research. I kept the idea of volunteering on the back burner while my three kids were growing up, but when two of them had finished school, it occurred to me that the time was here. I spend weeks here and there and would Google every combination of things I could think of. Kids, children, volunteer, physiotherapy, physical therapy, orphanages, Asia, Cambodia and so on. While I found plenty to interest me, it was actually Vietnam that ultimately seemed to have everything I wanted. They were asking for physiotherapists specifically, they went to orphanages and facilities with disabled kids, and while you paid for your own travel, they supplied accommodation and many meals as part of their fee. I wanted to travel by myself, but wanted to be as organised about it as possible.
So, I had my destination-just had to bring it up with the family. Turned out to be easier than anticipated. Adam's school kindly agreed for him to board while I was away so at least I could be assured he'd eat and get to school. Tony (husband) works long hours, but I figured he was old enough to forage for himself (however after last years' trip Adam told me that in the whole month I'd been gone, they hadn't had a normal home cooked meal AT ALL). He's still alive though, so no harm done. He's actually been across to Vietnam with my husband for part of my second trip, and if you've ever thought that travel broadens the mind- I'd have to say to you, that volunteering made a good man out of my son. He's walked the Kokoda Track and seen true village life in all its poverty (but full of life and joy) and in Vietnam, he's seen profoundly disabled kids with so little in their life and huge numbers of kids in orphanages tearing around wildly when the volunteers show up. He had started to go off the rails a little around 13-14 years, but after these experiences I know him now to be a confident, strong, resourceful man. He once said to me "Mum, I just didn't understand before, now I do."
The company I went with (a New Zealand organisation) was very helpful and I had plenty of preparation and support from them. So, that was it really. In the end, getting started was as easy as the time put in to find out where I wanted to go volunteer. That, and having a supportive family who can fend for themselves set me well on my way. My recommendation though, is to fully investigate whoever you decide to go with, the parent company AND the partner in whichever country you go with. You want to ensure the support will be there if something goes wrong. Always try to talk to someone who has been over with those organisations, and find out what they thought.
Enough for now, got to go work. Happy researching!
Sandie

No comments:

Post a Comment