Wednesday, 25 April 2012

Insomnia

It's 4am and for whatever reason I just can't sleep. Had a great day yesterday. Although we didn't get to visit any kids, I put together files for the kids we are going to see, to demonstrate the type of information and assessment they are going to need to be able to include for the kids with a disability in their pilot project. Although I was looking forward to a field trip on Thursday (that would be today) into a more rural area to assess the needs of kids there, it now seems like we are staying in Hoi An and working with kids already on their books. I've tried to encourage them to see the benefits of working with kids and families they already know, and who have expressed an interest in their project already. As is wonderfully the norm in this fantastic country, the project has reinvented itself again, and MAYBE we could run it out of CHIA instead of starting the pilot in an area we don't know so well.
We did go to the Children's Home here and met a great little kid that Benita was asked to see to look at his reading skills. While she was doing this, I had a long conversation with the young Vietnamese social worker and like a lot of these chance conversations that volunteering affords, ended up having a fascinating time.
Also started putting together the positioning and movement activities that could be used in the pilot project and apart from this, just SWEATED buckets today, especially on the ride to the Children's Home.
Phuong the physio said something so gorgeous today. Benita and I were working in different rooms, but often calling out and laughing and joking with each other. Phuong has commented to me that I was always happy, and when Benita came out, she said we had smiles in/on our mouths, and laughed like crazy when we told her it was smiles on our faces. I also cracked  up four of the CHIA staff by making a fingers crossed sign (meaning "I hope so"). The girls giggled and hid their faces and told me not to make that sign outside! Not even going to ask what it means as it is obviously rude!
As a treat we had a concoction this afternoon with beans ?sweetened milk (I think) and other stuff I couldn't even guess at. You put ice with the mixture in a bowl. It was delicious.
Should probably try for some more sleep as it's an early start in a few hours. Having sizzling eggs for breakfast. Not sure what they are, but looking forward to finding out.
Good night/morning
Sandie

No comments:

Post a Comment